Oana Dolea is an associate in the Business Law group, practicing commercial and intellectual property law with a focus on the technology, new media and entertainment industries.
Prior to joining Heenan Blaikie in 2013, Oana practiced with a specialized intellectual property and information technology law boutique firm in Toronto, advising clients in relation to software licensing, information technology services agreements, e-commerce arrangements and regulatory issues related to privacy and data protection, anti-spam and copyright. She completed her articles at the Montreal office of another major Canadian law firm, and, prior to her work in Canada, spent four months at a major law firm in Rome, Italy. Oana is fluent in English, French and Romanian, and has achieved professional proficiency in Italian.
Oana is actively involved with the International Technology Law Association (ITech Law). She has participated in recent association conferences in Washington D.C. and Rome as a presenter on privacy issues in the context of mobile e-commerce and as moderator of an international panel on recent issues in software copyright.
Outside her legal practice, Oana is an avid traveler and long-time contributor to the G8 Research Group, a University of Toronto-based international think-tank providing independent information, analysis, and research on the institutions, issues and members of the G8 and G20.
- B.C.L./LL.B. (Distinction), McGill University, 2008
- Certificate in International Arbitration, McGill University, 2006
- B.A. (Honours and High Distinction), University of Toronto, 2004
- Canadian Bar Association
- International Technology Law Association (ITechLaw)
- Young Bar Association of Montreal
- Advised Canadian software company in relation to the provision of development, SaaS and maintenance services to multiple national and global corporate clients: working directly with client representatives, negotiated and drafted specifically tailored documentation for each transaction, including master service agreements, software development agreements, licenses.
- Advised growing software developer in relation to the creation and maintenance of cashier system infrastructure for major Canadian liquor distribution agency. Negotiated and drafted specifically tailored transaction documentation.
- Advised national wealth management provider in relation to the contracting of financial product trading support and management software. Participated in the negotiation of deal terms and drafting of master agreement.
- Advised top Canadian technology company and multinational loyalty program provider in connection with the drafting of end-user license agreements, other relevant documentation and privacy compliance strategy for multiple mobile apps.
Privacy and Data Protection
- Advised global management consulting company in connection with strategic and regulatory privacy and anti-spam compliance matters: working directly with management team, developed Canadian anti-spam law compliant policies and practices and worked on process of streamlining Canadian practices with group's international data protection and anti-spam policies.
- Advised Fortune 100 California-based multinational corporation specializing in Internet-related products and services on Canadian data protection regulatory compliance and practices in connection with online advertising service: worked directly with client business representatives and U.S. in-house counsel.
- Advised American media companies, major online retailers, credit card product providers, and cloud computing software providers in connection with ensuring cross-border regulatory compliance of their data protection policies and practices.
- Advised global management consulting company in connection with Canadian telemarketing rules: working with general corporate counsel, assisted client in devising compliant policies and practices for various departments and processes.
- Advised leading wireless telecommunications provider with regard to Canadian regulatory requirements for sharing ground infrastructure with competitors.
- Acted as lead counsel on behalf of organizer of major live music festival, in connection with multi-million dollar corporate restructuring and refinancing transaction: working directly with senior counsel on the opposing side, negotiated and drafted terms of all relevant documentation and liaised with different relevant actors.
IP Arbitration and Litigation
- Assisted leading Canadian broadcasters with multi-year arbitration proceeding before the Copyright Board of Canada, in connection with the establishment of license terms and royalty rates for the reproduction of musical works: working directly with national law firm co-counsel and client in-house counsel, performed bi-lingual research, legal analysis, and drafting of memoranda, argumentation and communications to the federal regulator.
Publications & Conferences
- Workshop Leader, "Interactive Workshop: Liability of Service Providers such as Twitter, Facebook and Google," presented at the 2013 ITechLaw European Conference, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, October 3, 2013.
- Speaker, "E-commerce goes Mobile: Seeking Competitiveness through Privacy," presented at the Legal.IT 7.0 Conference, Montreal, March 26, 2013.
- Moderator, "Software & Copyright: An Overview of Key Recent European Decisions," presented at the 2012 ITechLaw European Conference, Rome, Italy, October 11, 2012.
- Speaker, “Interactive Workshop: Mobile e-Commerce & Privacy”, presented at the ITech Law 2012 World Technology Law Conference and Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., May 4, 2012.
- Co-presenter with Mark Hayes, “Privacy and Social Media – The Blurring of Public and Private Space (and How to Deal with It)", presented at the IT.CAN – 14th Annual Canadian IT Law Association Conference, Montreal, Quebec, October 28-29, 2010.
- Co-author, “Arbitrations, Class Actions, Consumer Contracts and the Internet—the Dell case”, World Communications Regulation Report, Vol. 2, No. 8, August 2007, and Internet and E-Commerce Law in Canada, Vol. 8, No. 7, September 2007.