Jan-Martin LeBlanc is a member of Heenan Blaikie’s Business Law group. His practice is focused on mining law, natural resources, Aboriginal law and environmental law. He advises clients with respect to the acquisition and development of natural resources.
Jan-Martin also advises clients in connection with Aboriginal relations, the duty to consult as well as the negotiation and drafting of Impact and Benefit Agreements with Aboriginal communities for mining projects and other types of projects. In addition, he has expertise on environmental issues with regard to industrial projects and natural resources, such as regulatory compliance and contaminated sites rehabilitation.
Before entering law school, Jan-Martin studied in geological engineering at the École Polytechnique de Montréal. Afterwards, he worked as a hydrological engineer in a consulting engineering firm, which was specialized in ground water supply for municipalities and the industry.
During his law school studies at the Université de Montréal, Jan-Martin received the Herbert Marx Blue Ribbon for the best legal essay (2007).
Before joining Heenan Blaikie in January 2012, Jan-Martin practised in the mining law and Aboriginal law group of another major national law firm.
Jan-Martin is a member of the board of directors of the Comité international de Projets Outre-mer, an organization for international cooperation related to the École Polytechnique de Montréal. He is bilingual (English and French) and has a working knowledge of Spanish.
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 2008
- B.Eng., École Polytechnique de Montréal, 2001
Publications & Conferences
- Co-speaker, “Les sanctions administratives pécuniaires en vertu de la Loi sur la qualité de l’environnement : un incontournable”, Conseil patronal de l’environnement du Québec (CPEQ), November 2013.
- Co-speaker, “La Loi sur la qualité de l’environnement et les sanctions administratives pécuniaires : où en sommes-nous ?”, environmental law conference, Éditions Yvon Blais, November 2013.
- Co-author, “The Quebec Carbon Market is in Effect!”, focus, Heenan Blaikie, March 2013.