Sharaf Sultan is a member of our Labour and Employment Law group. His practice focuses on all aspects of labour law issues related to employment and terminations, employment contracts, constructive dismissal and workplace human rights complaints. In addition, he supports arbitrations, mediations and collective bargaining negotiation.
Sharaf is also a member of the firm's Immigration Law group and provides advice on a wide range of immigration matters, including professional relocation, permanent resident applications, as well as intra-company transfers.
In 2010, Sharaf was named Fellow of the Toronto City Summit Alliance DiverseCity, a program that identifies future leaders in the Greater Toronto Area on issues of diversity.
Previous to his legal studies, Sharaf acted as a consultant for the International Labour Organization supporting the implementation of international labour standards.
Sharaf joined Heenan Blaikie in 2011 after practising employment law with a boutique employment law firm.
- LL.B., University of Ottawa, 2007
- M.D.E., Dalhousie University, 2002
- B.Comm. with Distinction (Management and Economics), University of Toronto, 1999
Publications & Conferences
- Interviewed by CBC Radio Ottawa on the issue of sick days in Canada’s public service, June 11, 2013.
- Author, "Diversity in the Workplace: Immigration, Foreign Workers, and Human Rights", contributing chapter, Ultimate HR Manual, May 31, 2013.
- Author, "Federal Government Tightening Rules Surrounding Hiring of Temporary Foreign Workers: A Quiet Revolution of Canada’s Immigration Program comes into the National Spotlight", Labour Notes, May 13, 2013.
- Quoted, "Canada Reforms Temporary Immigration Visa Regime", workpermit.com, May 3, 2013.
- Author, “Controversy Builds as the Number of Temporary Foreign Workers in Canada Continues to Boom”, Ultimate HR Manual, April 2013.
- Author, “Ontario Labour Relations Board Does Not Believe Employee Ever Worked for Employer: The Case of the Missing Employee”, Labour Notes, April 2, 2013.
- Author, "Former Chelsea Football Club Sports Psychologist sues Vancouver Canucks over work permit dispute", World Sports Law Report, March 2013.
- Speaker, "Employment and Human Rights Law in Ontario", ACCES Employment, Toronto Region Immigration Employment Counsel, November 8, 2012.
- Author, "Temporary Foreign Worker Program To Be Reviewed In Wake Of Criticism", published in the November 2012 edition of The Ultimate HR Manual.
- Author, "Foreign Workers and Termination of Employment: What To Do?," published in the November 2012 edition of The Ultimate HR Manual.
- Speaker, “First Contract Negotiation,” Canadian Cardiovascular Congress, Toronto, October 27-31, 2012.
- Author, "The Federal Government Continues to Tear Down Barriers to Foreign Labour" published in the October 2012 edition of The Ultimate HR Manual - Western Edition.
- Guest speaker on CBC Radio One program Ontario Today, for a discussion on civil claims relating to workplace injuries, August 17, 2012.
- Guest speaker on CBC Radio One program, discussion on sick leave in the workplace, Ontario Today, June 27, 2012.
- "Effectively Managing Diversity in the Workplace: Embracing Immigration Matters", Ultimate HR Manual, CCH, June 2012.
- Speaker on the changes to employment and immigration regulations pertaining to foreign workers, The Humber Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning, March 15, 2012.
- Speaker, "Diversity Now: Navigating the Ever-Expanding Web of Diversity in Today's Workplace", 2012 HRPA Annual Conference and Trade Show, February 2, 2012, Toronto.
- Quoted in an article entitled "WSIB cracks down on re-entry plans" in the October 17, 2011 edition of Law Times.
- Guest speaker on CBC Radio One program, Ontario Today, on May 31, 2011, for a discussion on diversity in the workplace.
- Speaker, "Designing Employment Policies and Procedures", 2nd HR Compliance Conference, Federated Press, September, 2010, Toronto.
- Author, "Social Networking Sites: Managing in a New Sphere", Addecco Canada LEAD Magazine, Issue No. 7.
- Quoted in the article "Home Depot bans pets in stores in wake of attack" of the May 23, 2011 issue of Canadian HR Reporter.
- Co-Author, "Navigating the International Assignment Maze: Employment Law Issues", Ontario Bar Association Institute's 2010 Continuing Legal Education session entitled Citizenship & Immigration/International Law, Navigating the International Assignment Maze: Immigration, Employment and Taxation Issues in Foreign Worker Transfers, February 16, 2010.